How Can I Prevent Poisoning from Household and Chemical Products?
Use safety locks on all cabinets. Store potential poisons out of reach of small children. Store all poisonous household and chemical products out of sight of children. If you are using a product and need to answer the telephone or doorbell, take the child with you. Most poisonings occur when the product is in use. Store all products in their original containers. DO NOT use food containers such as milk jugs or soda bottles to store household and chemical products. Store food and household and chemical products in separate areas. Mistaken identity could cause a serious poisoning. Many poisonous products look-a-like and come in containers very similar to drinks or food. An example of this is apple juice and pine cleaner. Return household and chemical products to safe storage immediately after use. Use extra caution during mealtimes or when the family routine is disrupted. Many poisonings take place at this time. Pesticides can be absorbed through the skin and can be extremely toxic. Keep children away from areas that have recently been sprayed. Store these products in a safe place where children cannot reach them. Discard old or outdated household and chemical products. Take time to teach children about poisonous substances. Keep the telephone number of your local Poison Control Center on or near your telephone.
How Can I Prevent Poisoning from Medicines?
Keep medicines out of sight, locked up and out of reach of children. Make sure that all medicines are in child-resistant containers and labeled properly. Remember child resistant does not mean child proof. Never leave pills on the counter or in a plastic bags. Always store medicines in their original container with a child-resistant cap. Keep purses and diaper bags out of reach of children. Avoid taking medicines in front of children. Young children often imitate "grown-ups." DON'T call medicine candy. Medicines and candy look-a-like and children cannot tell the difference. Vitamins are medicine. Vitamins with iron can be especially poisonous. Keep them locked up and out of reach of children. Be aware of medicines that visitors may bring into your home. Children are curious and may investigate visitor's purses and suitcases. Keep a bottle of Ipecac Syrup in your medicine cabinet. Make sure the babysitter knows where you store your Ipecac Syrup. Do not use the syrup unless instructed by the Poison Control Center or your doctor. Keep the telephone number of your local Poison Control Center on or near your telephone.
How Can I Prevent Poisoning from Plants?
Know the name of the plants in your home and in your yard. Label all of your plants. If you are having difficulty identifying a plant, take a sample to a nursery for identification. Keep poisonous plants out of reach of children and pets. Teach your children not to eat mushrooms growing in the yard. Some of these mushrooms can be poisonous. Be aware that mushrooms are abundant after rainy weather. Teach your children not to eat leaves and berries that grow in the yard. Do not assume a plant is safe to eat if you see wild animals eating it. Keep children and pets away from plants that have recently been sprayed with weed killer, bug killer or fertilizer. Have your local Poison Control Center send you a list of poisonous and non-poisonous plants.